Saturday, February 9, 2013

Excuses, excuses.

The beauty of college is supposed to be that you have more freedom over your schedule; in the sense that showing up to class becomes "optional", depending on how you feel about your grades and overall abilities to cram. As my history professor last semester once said:
"You don't have to show up to class, but make sure the Gods of bullshit are on your side come test time."
This semester, however, I have apparently enrolled in a class where attendance is mandatory. Not to sound like I'm not a good student (I really do go to class pretty regularly), but being faced with such time constraints is something that I'm not used to nowadays and is posing a problem for me.

First of all, this class sucks. And by sucks I mean my teacher has the thickest French accent imaginable - the Graduate student who leads the discussion sections is plain rude and regularly gives me the evil eye - and the content of the class is neither Psychological or Anthropological (which is what you would expect from a PsychAnthro class), and should really have been labeled Philosophy, which is a subject I despise. 

Secondly, the day in question that I am really not wanting to show up to this class happens to be Valentine's Day next Thursday. Yes, I am "that girl" who makes her boyfriend take off work the day of some holiday or anniversary because it feels more special that way. In fact, if I was President I would most definitely declare more of the smaller holidays to be official government holidays off. But Valentine's Day is my second favorite holiday, behind Christmas of course, and I refuse to be held to such obligations like my least favorite class of the semester. 

And I know in reality I could just not show up and take a tiny hit to my grade, but the Grad Student Instructor frankly frightens me a little bit, so I am trying to come up with an "on the spot" excuse e-mail ahead of time as to why I can't be there. I've been toying back and forth with "I came down with the stomach flu" and "my car got a flat tire on the freeway this morning and I was stuck for hours!" Not sure if I should go for the dramatic effect, but anyway you get the picture. 
However it plays out I am determined to not be there, so I guess as long as I've already made up my mind there isn't too much I can worry about. And I hope the rest of you decide to ditch on Valentine's day and make the most of that beautiful Thursday! 

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment