Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The First Day of School Madness

Finally it's my turn to start school! Being on the semester system I feel like one of the last ones to begin the new year of school, so this morning I was a little excited to get back to the grind. As much as I love vacation, having nothing to do and nobody around to hang with was getting pretty maddening itself. And yes, I still take a "first day of school" picture. :)


But of course as soon as I step foot on campus, I'm flooded again with all the new work, opportunities and possibilities of what this semester could bring. Being a transfer student I often feel like I have so much to do in so little time, and I still haven't exactly 'jumped in', so to speak, to all that my education has to offer in terms of extracurriculars. And it seems like all of a sudden they are being thrown my way and I have to make some quick decisions that are making my head spin. Within the next week I have the chance to apply for a prestigious research position with Cal faculty, or I can add another class to my schedule that may be more time consuming but certainly a lot more fun subject-wise, or I can put in more hours at my old job to make some extra cash. On top of all that, when I arrived home from classes today I had a nice little e-mail waiting for me, offering an office research position at the Lawrence Hall of Science in Berkeley, which is an institution with a level of prestige all of it's own. 
So basically now I am swimming in my thoughts instead of focusing on the fresh pile of books sitting in front of me waiting to be read. It's a little scary when you start to realize that the decisions you make now and your path in college can affect your actual career after graduation. Time to put on a brave face, I guess, and hope for the best! 

No comments:

Post a Comment